Monday, January 19, 2009

Slide


Yesterday while the kids were sleeping, Colette and I were sitting in the living room. I was watching the NFC Championship football game and Colette was reading a book. All of a sudden, she jumped up out of her chair and ran outside. I was kind of taken back because I had no idea why she went outside.

I found it kind of odd actually, because 1- it was cold out there 2-she had no coat on and 3-the snow is about 2 feet deep in the back yard.

Shortly afterward, she came back up to the deck with the slide in her hands. It was full of grass and snow. Colette said she had been meaning to go outside for the past few weeks and bring in the slide so the kids could play with it in the house. So, after a bit of cleaning up and wiping down it was clean enough to put out to play.

Lauren was the first up from her nap (which is normal). She is the one Colette really wanted to play on the slide.

When Colette brought her down, we could tell she was going to be crabby. She nuzzeled up into Colette's shoulder and kind of had a little frown on her face.

Then Lauren saw the slide. She immediately said "Down" to Colette. Colette asked Lauren where she thought she was going and Lauren said "Slide."

I was amazed that Lauren not only remembered what it was but she also knew what it was called. She wasn't talking nearly as much last fall when she played on it last.

Anyway, Lauren was so excited to play on the slide. She climbed to the top of the stairs and would just stand there with the biggest grin. That's the picture at the top. She would take her hands off the rail and just stand there like she was being some sort of daredevil. It was a really precious moment.

Then she proceeded to go up and down for the next 1/2 hour until her brother woke up.

What fun!


No comments:

Post a Comment