


Well, If you haven't hear the news, we've had quite a few visits to the Dr. lately. Starting last week, Brayton fell off the playground equiptment at the local park. He was quite whiney for a bit and after Colette consulted with another lady in their playgroup she decided to take B to the Dr. Good thing she did, he had a compression fracture of his distal radius (I don't really know what that means). The Dr. didn't want to put a cast on a 2 year old, so they gave him a splint to put on his wrist. Brayton thought this was pretty cool because the neighbor girl who is 10 has one too. Check out the Xrays and picture of his little splint. Click on the top Xray to see a larger version and the fracture.
Then friday night we headed up to Mallard for the weekend. By the time we got to Humbolt Brayton was breathing pretty heavily. We feared his allergies wouldn't take too well to the harvest season and all the corn dust. We had some prescription albuterol syrup just for this. We gave him a dose in Humboldt before we ate supper there. By the time we ate supper and drove to Pocahontas, his breathing had continued to deteriorate. We took him to the emergency room there and they gave him a nebulizer treatment. It helped and got us through the night.
The next day Colette went to baby Ella's shower and I took Brayton and Lauren out to the farm. Grandpa Wayne was out there and we picked a bunch of raspberries and a couple of watermellons. He made it through Saturday okay with his breathing, but we were dosing him every 4 hours with his medicine.
Sunday morning we woke up and B could barely breathe. I took him back to Pocahontas for another nebulizer treatment. Withing four hours, we were heading back to the ER for a second treatment. Colette and I decided that was enough. We packed everything up and left Mallard. By the time we were back to Des Moines, he was having a difficult time breathing again. Colette gave him another dose of the medicine and actually took him to the ER at Methodist. When she got there she found out it was a 4 hour wait and after sitting for a little bit his breathing started to get better. We got a nebulizer machine from Hy Vee and gave him another treatment at home. We tried to keep him calmed down and it seemed to help. That night right before bed we gave him his final nebulizer treatment and he slept through the evening well.
Today we took him to the allergist and she prescribed some pulmacourt which is a steroid and anti-inflamitory medicine. She said it should work well for him as it's pretty strong stuff. At this point I am just happy to have a little boy who doesn't have to struggle to breathe. That was very scary for me and I don't want to ever go through that again.
Brayton, I remember when your Grandpa Gordon and I were going to a dance downtown--a fall celebration. Those hosting the dance hosed out a grain bin (it would be used the following week to house grain--specifically corn) and held the dance there. A band was in place and we danced only a couple of dances when Grandpa Gordon told me we had to leave because he was finding it difficult to breath with the corn dust left in the bin. I had a hard time believing it could be bothering him because I couldn't tell there was any dust in the bin. Grandpa Gordon took me home and I later found out that he went to the emergency room right after that and ended up in the hospital for 2 days. So he understands how bad corn dust can be to someone who has allergies to it. I pray you will out grow your allergies just as your Grandpa Gordon has. Love, Grandma
ReplyDelete