Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Learning to pee...

For close to six months now, Colette and I have been trying diligently to get Brayton potty trained. We started on Christmas day, 2007. He has been doing pretty well, but some days he definitely does better than others. At times, he purposely pees his pants just to prove that he still has control. You can ask him, "Brayton, do you need to go potty." He'll reply "no" and stand there and pee his pants just a second later.

Well, Brayton and Lauren both went to Grandma Cindy and Grandpa Gordons this weekend. Colette and I were actually quite worried he'd not do very well going to the potty. Grandma Cindy said that they had a few accidents but that he'd actually done quite well.

Last night, as the story goes, while I was in class Colette gave B and Lauren a bath. She was trying to get Lauren's pajamas on and simeltaneously asking B if he had to go potty before bed. While she was doing so, B climbed up on his step grabbed the toilet seat and proceed to pee in the toilet without any coersion or help from mommy. Colette mentioned that she really didn't know how to respond because it was such a surprise since it's usually a struggle to get him to go.

Since that moment, B has been going pee on his own without much help from us. Colette still reminds him that he needs to keep his undies dry and that he needs to go potty. But for the past two days, he's been doing this on his own.

The question in our mind is - did the light recently just go on in Brayton's mind or did Grandma Cindy teach him to do this?

It is a mystery.

1 comment:

  1. Grandma Cindy may have had something to do with this. Brayton did not want to go to sleep and found many things to keep him occupied: playing with the phone and light (which I removed from his reach), talking, tossing, trying different beds (the baby bed, my bed, a single bed with both of us in it, a Spiderman sleeping bag), and of course wanting a drink and having to go potty. The potty need occurred about 11:00 after 2 hours of struggling to go to sleep. I took Brayton into the bathroom and he wouldn't sit on the potty without his potty seat which was in the downstairs bathroom. I was too tired to get it, so grabbed the toilet paper 4 pack from the cupboard, placed it in front of the stool, hoisted Brayton on top of it, pushed his knees against the toilet with my knees and told him to pee. He did....I was glad. On Sunday when we were taking Brayton and Lauren back home, we met Doug and Colette at church. Before entering, I took Brayton to potty. Again, not having the seat available, I told him to stand on Grandma's feet and I proceeded to move him closer to the toilet with my knees. Again, he did the job. He was a fast learner since it was only twice that we practiced this act!

    ReplyDelete